11.15.2008

The Elements of a Perfect Public Bathroom

Apparently I'm all about sharing my bathroom etiquette. Anyways, every time I use a public restroom, I critique it in my head based on my criteria for The Perfect Public Bathroom. The criteria are as follows:

  1. The outer door pulls out to enter and pushes out to exit. It also can't have any handles on the inside. That way you don't have to touch the knob after you've washed your hands.
  2. The stall door has to have the same set up. Well, it needs a lock, even though that thing must be disgusting. The main reason is you just have more room when the door pulls out. Think about trying to squeeze into a tiny ass stall with a winter coat on, a purse, and store bags. And once you get all your shit in, then you have to turn and try to close the door behind you. No thanks.
  3. Nice lead in to the next point. Roomy stalls. Clearly needed for all the aforementioned accoutrement. A shelf or counter behind the toilet is always helpful.
  4. Contoured toilet seats. Flat toilet seats suck. The contoured ones give your bum a nice place to settle.
  5. No-brainer: Automatically flushing toilets. Again, no one wants to touch that handle. *An aside: toilet seat covers aren't a big deal to me. How many diseases are transmitted via ass cheek?*
  6. More no-brainers: Automatic faucets, soap dispensers, and paper towel dispensers. I don't want to touch anything. Hand dryers are only acceptable when they're the super high- powered, dry in 10 seconds machines. And...
  7. Multiple stalls, sinks, and garbage receptacles for convenience.
And there we have it folks. The Perfect Public Bathroom. I've only encountered one bathroom that met most of these criteria: surprisingly, in the Pharmacy building. Kudos to you Rennebohm!! Everyone else, keep trying.

4 comments:

BrookeK said...

I think that the door to the bathroom and the stall should also be automatic. But they would probably break like the doors at work.

Brandy said...

i argue that there is no public bathroom. the only acceptable bathroom is your own private bathroom. who wants to share a private moment with strangers? that's just creepy. so what if my bladder is a little worn down from holding it in all day....that's the price i am willing to pay for privacy and less coodies.

Natalie said...

I think Nordstroms has great bathrooms. The stalls are really like a big closet. Plenty of room and people can't hear you take a dump or pass gas. They don't have automatic soap dispensers but I think the huge/private stalls make up for that.

Mo Jo Joanie said...

A tip for you....something I like to do is take off the first few squares of toilet paper off the roll. I don't like the thought of someone else's nasty hand touching it before me. Also, you don't have a problem sitting on the toilet seat but all these other things bug you?!?!

Blog Archive