12.17.2008

A Little Odd

Okay, so this is kinda random. But do you know what really interests me? Names given to groups of things, especially animals and insects. Like a school of fish or a colony of ants. But I really like the odd ones that nobody every hears and no one uses on a daily basis. Maybe it's just because I like having random knowledge to lord over other people, I don't know. Anyways, some groups have like two or three different options of names, but let me share some of my favorites, in no particular order.
  • A murder of crows
  • A crash or stubbornness of rhinoceroses
  • A mob of emus
  • A flamboyance of flamingos (tee hee)
  • A bloat of hippos
  • A wisdom of wombats
  • A fever of stingrays
  • An unkindness of ravens
  • A prickle of porcupines (tee hee)
  • A parliament of owls
  • A charm of hummingbirds
  • A memory of elephants
  • A coalition of cheetahs
  • A loveliness of ladybugs
Do I actively search online to look for these names? I do. Does this make me a big uber geek? Probably. And apparently I'm pretty tickled by alliteration. I'm fairly sure most of these are accurate, but like I said, different websites offer a lot of different options. I just picked the ones that are kickass. Feel free to contribute your knowledge of other cool names.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If a bloat of hippos is coming towards you YOU WILL DIE.

Mo Jo Joanie said...

I think you made all those up!

Natalie said...

I gotta say, I had the same reaction to the flamboyance of flamingos. I don't think its the alliteration, its the fact that flamingos are so damn flamboyant!

Blog Archive