7.22.2009

I Hate When People Say..

I really hate when someone asks me what I do for a living and they respond with some comment like "Oh, I don't know how you can do that job," or "I could never do that," or "I'd cry everyday if I did that job" (someone has actually said this to me) or some variation on that theme. And the thing is, I'm sure I've said this to people about their jobs before. And their hobbies, for that matter. Well, not the crying part because I'm a robot. It's just a way to make chitchat. But it bothers me for a couple reasons. One, depending on how it's phrased, even if someone doesn't mean it this way, you're basically implying that I must be cold-hearted bitch if I can watch kids suffer everyday. And logically I know they're actually trying to be complimentary but it just rubs me wrong. It's especially irritating if you first ask me if I like my job, and after I say yes, you follow it up with a "how do you do it?" I do it because it's my fuckin' job. Just like everyone else gets up and does their job everyday. Do I ask the garbage man if he likes picking up people's shit everyday? No. Do I tell my doctor that I think it's gross that she looks at bajingos all day? No. I totally know this is a case of me being oversensitive and paranoid, but hey, those are my bread and butter.

No comments: