7.06.2009

Apparently The World's Most Ridiculous Question

My sister told me I'd reached a new low of ridiculousness when I asked her this question. Sofia, you'll mock me over this one. All I asked was do Muslims have a really good sense of direction? Or do they carry compasses? If you face Mecca to pray, don't you need to have a good sense of direction to know the right way to face? Am I being inaccurate? Is this no longer the case? BTW, this question came up because my patient's dad was praying in the corner, and I was curious as to how he knew to pick that corner. I understand that if you're outside, you can determine direction by the position of the sun. But twisting and turning through a building, I think one could easily get mixed up. And I rarely ever know what direction I'm going, no matter where I am. I think this was a perfectly logical, sincerely asked question, though it does appear that I'm trying to create a blanket stereotypes for a group of people. Janell told me the question wasn't racist, just stupid.

4 comments:

Megan said...

I've wondered the same thing, but never had someone to ask. If it were me, I'd be carrying a compass. I wouldn't want to tick off any higher-ups by praying in the wrong direction.

Anonymous said...

without a doubt, the dumbest thing i've ever heard. i refuse to answer, but just wanna say that not everyone is as directionless as you trying to put on a sari blouse..muahahhahaha...yeah, that's right, i heard that story!
-sofia

Bob said...

Are there windows in the hospital? Shouldn't be that hard to figure out...

Yes. Dumbest question ever.

Erica said...

Only Megan understands me.