3.26.2009

Entertainment Review: One Night of Queen

That's right, I went after talking about it for the past six months. And it kinda rocked my face off, I can't lie.
  • Positives: The band totally rocked, and so did Gary Mullen, the lead singer. As I'll never actually see Freddie Mercury in concert (damn him for getting the HIV!), this was an okay substitute. I was up and singing and dancing pretty much the whole time, so I rocked it out. It was a fun ass time.
  • Not So Positives: The lame crowd. I expected better of you Madisonians (Madisonites?). Let's have a good time!! Get up and party!! I should have sat in the balcony where I saw some people head-banging away. I was stuck in the orchestra, which I usually like, but today was middle-aged and old people land. The couple in front of me barely even smiled or clapped! Dude, just leave. Actually, the woman next to me did leave at intermission. For shame!! I almost wished it had been somewhere with a little sketch, like the Orpheum or the Barrymore, so people would've been more relaxed. It's hard to rock out in the Overture Center. Next, while the band rocked on the instruments, not so great on the back-up vocals. And some songs, like my fav 'Somebody to Love', you kinda need good back-up. But I was willing to overlook that.
  • General Comments: If Gary Mullen was doing a for real Freddie Mercury, his pants should have been waaay tighter. And while I don't consider myself the world's biggest Queen fan (I mostly know the greatest hits albums) how about we excited over more than just 'Bohemian Rhapsody,' 'We Will Rock You,' and 'We Are the Champions,' people? Bone up before you show up. And shout outs the the folks that came in their leather jackets [that sounds dirty (and that comment unnecessary)] and Queen t-shirts, ready to party.
Two enthusiastic thumbs up!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you were wearing tight jeans, a leather jacket, and a Queen t-shirt. AIDS sucks.

BrookeK said...

We went to see the "Pink Floyd Experience" there and the crowd was also LAME! I felt like I was going to be punished for singing along and dancing. Needless to say, we got a ton of dirty looks from all of the old people. They are probably just jealous they are not young and cool like us!