6.28.2013

Rent

I has a few problems with this musical that I need to discuss. I thoroughly enjoy it, but some things bother me.
  • Problem 1: Roger, knowing that Mimi is a dope head, still thinks "You know, you're hot. We can make this work." Shock of shocks, she almost overdoses and dies. And he has a line in "Light My Candle" where he says Mimi reminds him of someone, which is his old girlfriend. Maybe the resemblance is that she was a fucking junkie, too. One who slit her wrists in the bathtub. What's your problem?
  • Problem 2: Roger writes a song for Mimi, which he claims took him all year. Seriously? This song was a pretty poor effort for it to have taken a year. It should have taken an hour, max.
  • Problem 3: Angel and Collins meet after he gets mugged in an alley. Literally, within one minute of meeting, Angel tells Collins he has AIDS. Far-fetched, much? "Oh, nice to meet you. And yeah, and I have AIDS, if you can't tell." "Get right out of town, me too! Let's be a couple!"
  • Problem 4: This isn't about the musical exactly. But Adam Pascal and Anthony Rapp are touring with "Rent" when i saw it a couple years ago. Really? Isn't this getting a little old? Aren't y'all getting a little old? Find something else to do already. You can't live off of "Rent" forever. 
  • Problem 5: I hate Maureen.
I know I shouldn't argue about things that are largely plot points. But I like to argue about everything.

No comments: