3.22.2015

I'm Just Saying

I was at the mall last weekend. And the women working in a store there just completely ignored my existence. It was otherwise empty, my cousin briefly made eye contact, then the two saleswomen continued with their personal conversation. There was no acknowledgment of me as a potential paying customer, at all. Now, I doubt they work on commission, so selling me something probably made no difference to them one way or another. But this brings up something I don't understand. Maybe this makes me cold and calculating or grasping, but I don't get people letting their personal beliefs/opinions get in the way of making that money. I don't know if these woman were being racist or just terrible employees, but even if they were racist, why would you let that stop you from doing your job? And all these stories you hear recently of bakers and wedding planners and so on refusing to provide service to gay couples? I'm sorry, if I was a florist and gay marriage became legal in my state, the only thing I'd say is "Cha-Ching!"

*Apparently I should pay attention to current events. I guess folks in Indiana don't agree with me*


2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I prefer when people leave me alone in a store. Maybe you exude the leave me alone vibe.

Megan said...

Me too, Rebecca. I pretty much bite their heads off when they say "All the blue items are 50% off." Really? Because I couldn't read the huge fucking sign as I walked in the door.